Imperial County Sheriff's Office wanted to inform the community about telemarketing scam calls. Many legitimate companies sell their products or services through telemarketing by either calling consumers or advertising a number for consumers to call.
Charities also use telemarketing techniques, unfortunately fraudulent telemarketers rob people every day, using phones as their weapons. The following are tips to help protect yourself from Telemarketing scams.
Here are some things ICSO would want the community to look out for:
- Know who you’re dealing with.
- Don’t believe promises of easy money.
- Think twice before entering contests operated by unfamiliar companies.
- Never pay to play. It’s illegal for a company to require you to buy something or pay a fee in order to win or claim a prize.
- Guard your personal information.
- Use common sense and ask for names, addresses and call back phone numbers. If you feel suspicious simply hang up.